!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: maths meets food  (Read 1524 times)

Offline spryte

• Founder
  • Student - A Level
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Helpfulness: 17
  • malicious and delicious
maths meets food
« on: 10 May, 2010, 05:03:34 PM »

is there a formula to work out how "good" or "bad"" food is, according to the amount of fat and sugar there is per calorie or by weight?

summat like (fat+sugar)/weight, or calories/(fat%+sugar%)?

looking for a kind of formula that i can do in my head (no squares, square roots, dy/dx etc)...
of all the things i've lost, i miss my chocolate the most...

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: maths meets food
« Reply #1 on: 04 July, 2010, 10:46:17 AM »
There is a formula used by WeightWatchers to calculate their points rating for any food.

It is...

Points = Calories divided by 50 + Total Grammes of Fats divided by 12 minus Minimum (Dietary Fibre Grammes,4) divided by 5.

If that is as clear as custard, it is far better explained on this website...put down your fork and click on

http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/articles/weight_watchers_points/

This may not be exactly what you are looking for though. Hope it helps a bit.

« Last Edit: 04 July, 2010, 11:02:21 AM by P-Kasso »
"I live in hope"