!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: How do you submit a new song to a recording artist for consideration?  (Read 1722 times)

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 36
  • Helpfulness: 67
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
The Pet Shop Boys apparently wrote a couple of songs for Kylie and sent them to her, but they never heard back from here.  Now personally, I would not expect people like PSB to be doing a lot of purely speculative work, but clearly they do.

How does an unknown songwriter go about getting their music performed by big names?

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
It's all about who you know.

You can submit to their label, but you are unlikely to get "ear-time" of the actual artist. More likely it'll get listened to by a low-level flunky (if not binned out of hand) before being passed up the food chain. Unknown links later, an exec will pass it to some big-name star and you may get listened to by the target star. One alternate scenario is where an exec thinks "well, maybe not Kylie, but the Wurzels might be good with this" and passes it to a lesser star.

Alternatively, if you have a contact who can (and is willing) to pull strings, that would be the best bet.

I'm surprised PSB's contribution wasn't at least thanked. For unknowns, I wouldn't be surprised at a zero response.